Situated in the beautiful Waveney valley, on the Norfolk / Suffolk border, these four award-winning, luxurious and stylish cottages are set in 8 acres of gardens and surrounded by over 250 acres of water meadows in the grounds of one of England’s most picturesque and historic watermills. Each of the four cottages achieved a VisitEngland Gold Award. UpFront Reviews links with our booking system to gather independent reviews from genuine visitors here. Click on the link to see how visitors rate their stay.
Come and enjoy gardens, water meadows and landscapes which inspired painter Sir Alfred Munnings who was born here in the Miller’s House in 1878, painted around the grounds and went on to become President of the Royal Academy. His birthplace and home, The Miller’s House (4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms), with its classical proportions and large Georgian windows provides stunning views over the grounds and river and also offers a secure ‘child-friendly’ courtyard as well as a riverside garden. There is a choice of 2 bedroom cottages: The Lodge (with wetroom) set in an enormous ½ acre walled garden and Mill Race Cottage (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) with its beautiful plantsman’s garden with award-winning and rare plants stretching alongside 100 metres of riverbank. The one bedroom cottage The Nest has a terrace directly over the mill steam, ideal for couples and comes complete with a modern, recital quality grand piano! A ‘grid view‘ shows availability for all the cottages on one page.
We are happy to welcome dog-owners with one dog in Miller’s House and up to two dogs in The Lodge.
James and Nick, the owners, live at the property too. Not only will we be here to welcome you but we’ll also be around if you need suggestions on places to visit, pubs and restaurants to drink or eat at etc.. We’ll also encourage you to use the rowing boat or canoes to experience the beauty of this wonderful river valley with its hundreds of acres of unspoiled water meadows and abundant wildlife. (We’ll show you how to canoe too if you haven’t used one before!) We want you to have a wonderful and memorable holiday.
- 8 acres of gardens and water meadows
- Extensive private fishing (in season) on main river and mill stream (mainly chub, roach, perch, dace, pike)
- Explore the river in our canoes or rowing boat
- All cottages fully equipped with large LCD Freeview TVs, washing machines, dishwashers, full central heating etc.
- Free Wi-Fi internet access in all cottages
- Each cottage has a private garden or terrace complete with BBQ, tables and chairs (tables and chairs are also dotted elsewhere around the grounds)
- Luxuriously furnished with high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, summer, autumn and winter duvets as required and fluffy white towels.
- One dog is allowed in The Miller’s House; 2 dogs allowed in The Lodge (no dogs in Mill Race Cottage or The Nest)
- 5 minutes walk from village pub (which offers a warm welcome and hot food)
‘Perfect, just perfect’
‘Mendham Mill is like Narnia, simply another world’
Finally, for those who wonder about such things, by tradition mills don’t flood. The water meadows form an enormous natural basin for flood water so although they and some of our gardens flood occasionally the buildings have never been known to flood and are not expected to either! Millers sited their mills and controlled the water well to ensure they kept dry and able to grind corn in all conditions. Milling would not have taken place on this site for 1000 years that had not been achieved. None of the extraordinary rainfall and storms of recent years has caused this to alter.
Please take a look at other comments from visitors.